Stewed Zucchini with Ricotta and Pasta
Summer squash. When you can't beat them - join them.
- 3 smallish zucchini, stem end trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Peel of one lemon, pith removed and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Sea salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- Several sprigs fresh mint
- Small pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine zucchini, lemon peel and garlic in a medium saucepan. Season well with sea salt (about 1 teaspoon) and add olive oil. Set over medium heat and cook just until oil starts to sizzle. Add mint and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat and let simmer gently (stir occasionally) until zucchini is very very soft and flavorful, about 1 hour.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and divide between serving bowls. Spoon ricotta and zucchini - along with some of the olive oil - over pasta. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Excess olive oil can be cooled and strained and used to flavor other cooked vegetable dishes and pasta sauces.