Ginger Parsnip and Toasted Pecan Tea Bread
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, finely ground
Place parsnips in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are very tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and return parsnips to saucepan. Place over low heat and cook, just to dry out water. Place in bowl of food processor. Add fresh ginger and whiz together to form a smooth velvety puree. You should have about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups.
Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and line with parchment. Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together. Add eggs and beat until combined. Stir in vanilla, candied ginger and parsnip puree. Stir to combine. Whisk together remaining ingredients and add to parsnip batter. Stir just to combine and pour batter into a prepared pan, using a rubber spatula to scrape out bowl. Bake until get is golden brown and center is set, about 50 minutes. Top will crack slightly. Embrace it. Let cool on a wire rack before slicing.