Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Nettles and Ricotta
- 1/4 cup ghee or olive oil, plus more oil for drizzling
- 1 small bunch ramps, trimmed and chopped (both white and green parts)
- 2 bunches nettles, rinsed free of grit and stems removed, see tips below
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
Melt ghee or warm olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add ramps and sauté about 2 minutes until just translucent. Using tongs, toss in nettles and cook until nettles begin to wilt, about 3 more minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Add a bit of cold water when pan becomes too dry and continue to cook until greens are very tender, about 10 minutes. Continue to add water as needed to prevent scorching. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions and drain. Serve nettles over pasta with a generous spoonful of fresh ricotta, sprinkle of toasted pine nuts and drizzle of olive oil.
Tips for Wrangling Nettles
- Wear thick kitchen gloves when handling nettles.
- Clean nettles by placing them under cold running water.
- Use sharp kitchen shears to separate tender leaves from tough stems.