Indian Summer Corn and Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ears yellow corn
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped, or more to taste
- 4 radishes, sliced paper thin
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 pound aged Manchego cheese
Combine farro, apple cider, salt and bay leaves in a medium saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all the liquid evaporates and the farro is nice and tender but still toothsome, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves and set aside.
Meanwhile, grill corn until nicely charred, rotating cobs for even cooking. Cut kernels from cobs and place in a bowl. Whisk together lime juice and olive oil. Add jalapeño pepper and let stand just long enough to soften, about 10 minutes. Combine farro, corn and tomatoes in serving bowl. Dress salad with olive oil mixture and adjust seasoning with more salt as needed. Add radishes and mint leaves and toss gently. Use a vegetable slicer to shave thin strips of Manchego over salad just before serving. One last drizzle of olive oil never hurts.
Handmade teal bowl from Henry Street Studio