Almond Polenta Cake
- 1 pound unsalted sweet butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups superfine sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or vanilla extract
- Zest of 4 oranges, grated
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) almond flour
- scant teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup finely ground polenta
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- confectioner’s sugar, for serving
Heat oven to 325. Butter two 9 inch spring form cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl into light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition Stir in Grand Marnier or vanilla, orange zest and orange juice.
In a separate bowl whisk together almond flour, salt, polenta and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and stir just to combine. Divide batter between the two prepared pans, smooth tops and sprinkle each with about 1 tablespoon sugar. Scatter slivered almonds on top. Bake until cakes are set and golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely. Dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.