Kaffir Lime and Kumquat Chicken
Storm warnings abound. Time to get cooking! Stay home. Stay safe. Stay warm. And eat well.
- 4 kaffir limes, halved
- 6 kumquats, halved
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 piece lemon grass, finely chopped
- 1 chicken, about 3 1//2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces, rinsed and pat dry
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, homemade if you can manage
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Rice noodles, for serving
Heat oven to 425. Strew a large cast iron skillet or smallish roasting pan with limes, kumquats, garlic and lemon grass. Season chicken with coriander, salt and pepper and arrange pieces, skin side up on top of fruit. Roast in hot oven until chicken is golden brown, crisp and cooked through, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Add chicken stock to pan and set over high heat. Let liquid bubble up - scraping up any cooked on bits in pan to create a rich flavorful juice. Pour juices over chicken and serve with fresh cilantro and rice noodles.