Farinata with Market Finds
- Scant 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for toppings
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 olive oil, plus more for preparing pan and drizzling
- Topping Suggestions
- Rainbow Chard - leaves removed and reserved for another use. Stems chopped and sautéd in olive oil until just soft.
- Ramps - root ends trimmed - roughly chopped - use raw or gently sautéd depending on personal preference. Flowering Kale - tough stem ends removed
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
Combine chickpea flour and salt in a bowl and form a well. Slowly pour water into well, whisking as you work, to form a smooth batter with no lumps. Whisk in olive oil. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or, ideally, overnight. Bring to room temperature before using. The mixture should look like a thin pancake batter. Heat oven to 450. Set a small cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium low heat and let stand a few minutes. Add a teaspoon or so olive oil and heat until just below smoking point. Pour about 1/4 cup batter or just enough to make a thin but solid layer. Sprinkle with topping of choice - a handful or two. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until batter is cooked through and golden brown on the bottom - about 15 minutes. Remove from oven - drizzle with a tad olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.