Chocolate Amaranth Square with Coconut and Pecans
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 small very ripe bananas, enough to yield between 1/2 -3/4 cup mush
- 1 cup toasted pecans, finely ground
- 1 cup toasted coconut, finely ground
- 1 cup amaranth flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Cocoa for serving, optional.
Heat oven to 350. Line a 9" x 9" baking tin with parchment paper and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and mix well. Add vanilla and bananas and mix to combine. Whisk together pecans, coconut, flour, salt and baking powder in another bowl. Stir dry ingredients into wet. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake until center is just set, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. Dust with cocoa if desired.
Denim Button Lunch Bag project can be found on the Purl Bee