Fried Okra Salad
- Olive oil, for frying
- 3/4 pound okra, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 stone ground yellow corneal
- Corn kernels cut from 2 ears
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges, for serving
Heat about 1 inch of olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet and set over medium low heat. Slowly bring to frying temperature, the oil should sizzle the moment anything is added - test with a corn kernel or two.
While oil heats, whisk together flour, salt and cayenne. Place okra in a large bowl and toss with flour mixture. Dip coated okra in beaten egg and then dredge in cornmeal. Working in batches, carefully lower okra into hot oil and fry until cornmeal crust is golden brown and okra appears to soften, about 5 minutes per batch, depending on oil temperature and quantity of okra. Use a slotted spoon to remove fried okra and blot on paper towel. Keep okra hot in a low oven while you complete frying.
Transfer fried okra to a large serving bowl. Add corn, tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Toss together and season with a good pinch of salt. Serve with a wedge of lime for squeezing.