Peach Cobbler with Cornmeal Crust
- 10 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 6ths.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Heat oven to 375. Place peach slices in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, flour lemon juice and salt. Toss to coat. Transfer fruit to a cobbler dish, about 9 inches in diameter. Dot peaches with butter. Place in oven and let cook until fruit is hot, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare Cornmeal Cobbler Crust below.
Cornmeal Cobbler Crust
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in cold butter and work just to form a grainy crumb. Stir in buttermilk. Remove cobbler dish from oven. Increase heat to 425. Spoon batter over peaches, working in large (about 2 tablespoon) dollops so to cover the surface of dish. Return dish to oven and bake until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about another 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 if top becomes too brown before fruit bubbles. Let stand about 1 hour before serving.