Healthy Living Squash Salad
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 4 tablespoons plain or coconut yogurt
- Pinch cayenne
Whisk together miso and vinegar until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and and whisk until dressing is nicely emulsified. Refrigerate dressing until needed, up to one week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms such as oyster, shitake or white button, tough ends trimmed
- 1 small clove garlic, minced to paste
- Splash sesame oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Several handfuls fresh chrysanthemum greens, or another green such as mizuna, tough stems removed
- 1 small kaboche squash, seeded, cut into wedges and steamed until tender
- 1/2 cup hijiki seaweed, soaked according to instructions, drained and pat dry
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and cook over moderately highly heat, without stirring, until mushrooms are nicely browned. Stir and cook a few minutes more until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sesame oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Set aside.
Place greens in a serving bowl. Peeled squash (if desired) and cut into nice bite size pieces. Add prepared mushrooms, hijiki and sunflower seeds. Spoon on miso dressing, toss and serve.